It’s almost Independence Day in the US, which made me think about freedom.
And freedom comes in many forms…I wonder what you’re trying to break free of?
Would you like to be free of that nasty voice in your head who says things like,
- “I’m too fat to wear a bathing suit in public!”
- “I can’t get that job because I don’t have an advanced degree,”
- “No one believes that I got promoted based on my qualifications.”
- “I’m not ready to get promoted, those other people have so much more experience than me.”
- “I should have known the answer to that question!”
- “I should have read that article/book!”
- “I can’t believe I messed that up!”
- “I can’t believe I didn’t ask that question!”
- “My resume is too weak to apply for that job.”
- “No one invited me to a 4th of July party, so no one likes me.”
I attended an interesting webinar this week where we did an activity that I’ll share with you here so you can break free of that inner critic.
STEP 1: List all of your limiting beliefs. “Because I am….I can’t….”
This can be super painful! We are so mean to ourselves. And when we acknowledge it and see it for what it is, we can start to change it!
STEP 2: For each thing on your list, ask yourself..Is this true/partially true/false?
Next to each thing on your list, mark it with a T for true, a PT for partially true and an F for false.
STEP 3: For anything you don’t know for sure, look for evidence that contradicts your limiting beliefs. Look at your limiting belief and then find evidence that will tell you it’s not true, as if you’re looking at it from the outside (if a friend was looking at your list).
How? Ask people you trust. Do some research.
Now if something on your list is true, and you’ve collected evidence to prove that it is true, what are you going to do about it? You have a choice: do nothing, accept it. Do something, make a list of what you should do.
- Twitter @Mel_Hereford
- LinkedIn Melissa Hereford
- Instagram melissahereford
- YouTube channel Melissa Hereford, Negotiate With Confidence https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBb_nSImUPvzxDFVRq9Bt4g
- Facebook https://www.facebook.com/negotiatewithconfidence/